Hairdresser's Guide to Instagram 'Stories' Success
Quite possibly one of the biggest social media release surprises of 2016, Instagram 'stories' have truly rocked the digital world this summer. Though the photo sharing app's newest feature essentially looks like a Snapchat knock-off, the tool functions slightly different and has significant use benefits for users and brands alike. We've got the DL on how to use this new feature plus tips and suggestions for ideal content to post that will fully leverage the app's new capabilities.
So, how does it work?
First, Be sure to update your app to the latest version of Instagram
- Open the Instagram app
- To start a new story, click the plus arrow in the top left corner of your Instagram feed
- To take a photo, tap the circle at the bottom center of your screen
- To take a video, hold the circle down (up to 10 seconds)
- Add a filter to your image or video by swiping left on your screen
- To add text to your image or video, tap your screen and begin typing in the blank field that appears
- To enlarge or move the text, drag with your finger and pinch/pull to adjust size.
- To draw on your image, click on the pencil icon in the top right corner of your screen
- When you are done creating your image or video, add it to your story by clicking the check mark at the bottom of your screen.
What are the benefits of using the Instagram story feature?
- You can share as much content as you'd like throughout the day, without overwhelming your personal Instagram grid or your followers' feeds
- Photos and videos on your story disappear after 24 hours
- There are no public likes or comments
- You can restrict the audience of your snap story
- If your profile and story are public, you have the potential to experience increased digital exposure, especially if you interact with other users after posting to your story
- You can get a look at the lives of your favorite influencers and celebrities that you may not follow on Snapchat
What are some ideas for story content?
- Videos that introduce who you are and what type of content your Instagram followers will see on your story (i.e. hair and makeup tutorials, travel and BTS footage of events)
- Basic hair tutorials (how to's)
- Client before and afters
- Updates on noteworthy events in your school life, career, etc.
Now that you know how to use it, the question is: What will your story be?
Be sure to follow TONI&GUY through our official Instagram to keep up with the latest and greatest in our story.